Thursday, September 9, 2010

a skeletal reminder

I am a strong believer that jewelry should be more than just an accessory.  My personal collection consists of pieces that either contain sentimental value or evoke memories and emotions.  I have been eying Links Of London's line of friendship bracelets for some time now, but never considered purchasing one until I saw this skull-filled beauty. Morbid? Maybe, but I can justify my excitement. Last fall, I visited the Sedlec Ossuary in a small town near Kutna Hora in the Czech Republic.  The Ossuary is decorated with the skeletons of between 40,000 and 70,000 people who supposedly died during the plague. According to legend, the decorations were constructing by a half blind monk, which makes it even more amazing! I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to visit the Ossuary, and this bracelet will prevent me from ever forgetting that.

The chandelier contains every bone in the human body!
It was easy to forget that the art was constructed by human skeletons - it was all so beautiful and intricate!

No comments:

Post a Comment