Sunday, September 19, 2010

rock & roll

I am not a cook. I have always been incredibly intimidated by the kitchen and long ago accepted that some people are just meant to survive by balancing raw foods with takeout.  When a friend suggested that we substitute our dinner plans with a class at the NYC Institute of Culinary Education, I was quick to muster up any excuse not to go. My efforts failed...and that is the story of how I  found myself spending my Saturday night covered in sticky rice at a Sushi 101 class.

The ingredient buffet - so many options!
After many fails, I finally mastered the art of the roll.
The instructor gave our finished product a good amount of pity praise.

I may not be ready to open a Japanese restaurant quite yet, but the class taught me that I am capable of preparing a meal without hurting myself or innocent bystanders.  Also, (much to my roommate's relief) I am much less prone to panicked temper tantrums and fits of rage when he accidentally tosses a takeout menu into the trash can instead of our coveted menu drawer. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment