Friday, November 5, 2010

sittin' in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g...

The topic of Disney's portrayal of women in their early movies was heavily discussed in my ethics class this past week.  My professor pointed out that some of our all-time favorites are based on the idea that women need a man to be happy (or awake from an endless sleep...or save her from an evil monster...) and that there are serious implications for girls who grow up with this subconscious belief.  I left the class feeling betrayed by my own childhood and thoroughly cynical towards the world.
  
My thoughts became even more jumbled when my friend forwarded me a link to Porter Hovey's blog, kissssing The quotes and pictures from classic love stories left me with a smile, but I couldn't help but wonder if this delight could be traced back to my childhood obsession with The Little Mermaid and Sleeping Beauty.  Nonetheless, Hovey's diverse compilation of quotes and snapshots will warm the hearts of even the most jaded, cynical, and "giving-up-on-love" New Yorkers.

 -
"Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk- real straight talk about souls, for life is holy and every moment is precious.” 
-- Jack Kerouac, On the Road


quotes and images via kissssing

No comments:

Post a Comment